Posts Tagged ‘holiday’
Here are a couple of our favorite fireworks photos from this New Year’s Eve. Sorry for the late post, but they were too gorgeous to pass up. Happy (late) New Year Culture Vixens!!!
It’s that time of year again — sakura, or cherry blossom viewing season in Japan. There’s no experience like walking through a park filled with cherry blossom trees and watching the tiny floral petals float down softly like fragrant snow as they blanket the ground with color. The locals throw hanami parties, festive picnic gatherings that take place under the blooming trees, which by the way are cultivated for their flowers rather than for their cherries (they don’t bear fruit). Here are some spellbinding spring images out of Japan…
Looking for something fun and freaky to do on Halloween in San Francisco? Get your science geek on at the California Academy of Science’s annual Halloween bash “Creatures of the NightLife.” You can wander among the reptiles in the rainforest, watch butterflies flap all around you under the glass domes, and stroll through the deep blue waters of the aquarium among costumed revelers as DJs spin tunes. Enjoy monster cocktails or take in a show in the planetarium.
Mermaids, mermen, sea creatures, sea gods and goddesses—oh my! Fabulous glitter infused costumes were everywhere as revelers payed tribute to the sea this year for the 30th anniversary of the Coney Island Mermaid Parade. Although the parade was originally cancelled due to lack of funds, a successful Kickstarter fundraising campaign fixed all that, and mermaid lovers the world over rejoiced.
Merry Christmas from all of us at Culture Vixen!
As our plane followed the coastline up from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara, the aerial views made my heart skip a beat: it was all sparkling blue Pacific ocean lined with golden sand and white surf, leading up to hills tinged bright pink in the light of the setting sun. Flying over sailboats, palm trees, and the Santa Barbara pier gave me such a sense of happiness. And the views just kept getting sweeter, with the city piled into the hills as a backdrop to the ocean-front cliffs of The Mesa, tumbling right into the sea. California is definitely my kind of paradise. Moreover, I stepped off the plane to a balmy, sunny day—this is why I love California Christmases so much!
1. Crystal Cave Rock Ring: Glitzy to the max, this one of a kind glittering ring makes a rockin’ gift!
2. Silver Orbital Drop Earrings: These versatile earrings are funky and flashy at the same time.
Jones New York, $28.
3. Fish Hotel: How cool is this fish tank?
Crate & Barrel, $29.95.
4. Festive Christmas Tree Hat: The perfect hat for a tree trimming party, right? So adorable!
5. Curvy Chrysanthemum Vase: This flowery vase has an organic underwater spirit to it.
6. Peas USB Hub: How cute! A four-hub USB 2.0 plug for all your devices.
MoMA Store, $32.
7. GingerDead Men Cookie Cutter: Now you can bake your very own undead gingerbread men.
8. Sushi Memo Set: Scribble all your raw thoughts on this paper assortment of sushi. Toro, maguro, tamago, and salmon sushi, respectively.
MoMA Store, $18.95.
1. Color Wheel Stick Umbrella: Brighten a rainy day with this color burst umbrella!
MoMA Store, $40.
2. Bubble Necklace: Part gaga, part sophisticated artisan necklace, this piece was designed by Marina and Susanna Sent who come from a long line of glass designers hailing from Venice, Italy.
MoMA Store, $115.
3. Generation by Knoll: For the ultimate in office comfort, plant yourself in the Knoll Generation Chair. Designed for maximum flexibility, this chair is bendy and nimble beyond belief, sustainable, and stylishly cutting edge.
4. Horse Head: Love horses? This life-sized bust will jazz up any room and serve as a perfect conversation starter at your next cocktail party.
Z Gallerie, $129.95.
5. Vasa Cubes: Colorful and fun, these dazzling prism cubes were created by the Yugoslavian-born sculptor Vasa.
MoMA Store, Set of 6: $350.
6. Sequoia Console Table: This shimmery table crafted from the root of an Acacia tree is hand painted in silver, with accents of silver leaf.
Z Gallerie, $999.
7. Pantone Mugs: A classic graphic design staple, these Pantone mugs come in tons of custom mixed colors.
Pantone, $54-$90 for a set of 6 (price dependent on color schemes).
8. Tea Time Chandelier: An Alice in Wonderland-esque tea party chandelier with 18 vintage teacups dangling from spoons attached to silver serving trays.
Our Absolute Favorite Holiday Tune this Season:
“Frosty the Snowman” by Zee Avi. This isn’t your typical Frosty tune, Zee has reinvented this classic with an unbelievably fresh twist.
It’s December! This wig shop on upper State Street in Santa Barbara caught my eye…it’s finally that time of the year!