Archive for the ‘art’ Category
These magical photos of jellyfish were snapped by Russian biologist and sea life photographer Alexander Semenov. Having studied Zoology (with an emphasis on squid brains!), not only are his jellyfish photos phenomenal, but his photography conjures up all kinds of dreams of the sea.
Liam Brazier is a freelance illustrator with an impressive roster of clients (think Samsung, the Museum of London, Virgin TV). Love his geometrical digital renderings of comic heroes and sci-fi legends.
Love the stained glass look? Then check out this stained plexiglass house created by Tom Fruin. An installation artist born in Los Angeles and currently based in Booklyn, Tom created “Kolonihavehus”. Made of steel, found plexiglass, and paint, this colorful house was installed in the plaza of the Royal Danish Library in Copenhagen. So cool!
Painting with explosive use of color, Francoise Nielly lives and works in Paris, although she grew up in the south of France.
1. Color Wheel Stick Umbrella: Brighten a rainy day with this color burst umbrella!
MoMA Store, $40.
2. Bubble Necklace: Part gaga, part sophisticated artisan necklace, this piece was designed by Marina and Susanna Sent who come from a long line of glass designers hailing from Venice, Italy.
MoMA Store, $115.
3. Generation by Knoll: For the ultimate in office comfort, plant yourself in the Knoll Generation Chair. Designed for maximum flexibility, this chair is bendy and nimble beyond belief, sustainable, and stylishly cutting edge.
4. Horse Head: Love horses? This life-sized bust will jazz up any room and serve as a perfect conversation starter at your next cocktail party.
Z Gallerie, $129.95.
5. Vasa Cubes: Colorful and fun, these dazzling prism cubes were created by the Yugoslavian-born sculptor Vasa.
MoMA Store, Set of 6: $350.
6. Sequoia Console Table: This shimmery table crafted from the root of an Acacia tree is hand painted in silver, with accents of silver leaf.
Z Gallerie, $999.
7. Pantone Mugs: A classic graphic design staple, these Pantone mugs come in tons of custom mixed colors.
Pantone, $54-$90 for a set of 6 (price dependent on color schemes).
8. Tea Time Chandelier: An Alice in Wonderland-esque tea party chandelier with 18 vintage teacups dangling from spoons attached to silver serving trays.
Our Absolute Favorite Holiday Tune this Season:
“Frosty the Snowman” by Zee Avi. This isn’t your typical Frosty tune, Zee has reinvented this classic with an unbelievably fresh twist.
It’s December! This wig shop on upper State Street in Santa Barbara caught my eye…it’s finally that time of the year!
Joey Chou is a multi-talented artist who produces imaginative and beautifully rendered illustrations. His artistic style is extremely happy and cute, so it’s no surprise that he’s done lots of concept work for companies like Disney, most recently illustrating the “It’s a Small World” book. His range of characters and themes is impressive to say the least.
Resa Blatman is a talented artist and designer that I’ve been following for some time now. She is a pro at integrating her artistic style into her design work flawlessly. But what I’m really excited to share with you is her latest painting series. Consisting of spectacular cut-edge art, her new work comes alive on the wall and takes on a wonderful 3D life of its own.
Pau Franco is a professional illustrator and graphic designer from Argentina. She lived in Italy where she worked as a graphic designer before returning to Argentina. See more of her wonderful illustrations after the jump…